The XVI Research Advisory Committee Meeting of the ICAR – National Research Centre on Mithun held from September 20th to 24th, 2023. The meeting commenced with a thorough exploration of our laboratories and mithun museum on September 20th, where the Committee had the opportunity to engage with our dedicated scientists. Subsequently, on September 21st, the Committee visited our Mithun farm in Medziphema and convened a significant meeting with esteemed members, including Dr. M. R. Saseendranath, Vice Chancellor of Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Pookode, Kerala, who chaired the meeting. Other committee member were also present:
- Dr. Amrish Kumar Tyagi, Assistant Director General (ANP), ICAR
- Dr. Girish Patil, S., Director, ICAR – NRC on Mithun, Nagaland
- Dr. R. B. Sharma, Former National Coordinator, NAHEP, ICAR
- Dr. S. Pan, Professor (Retired), Veterinary College, WBUAFS, Kolkata
- Dr. A. K. Sangwan, Professor, Veterinary College, CAU, Jalukie, Nagaland
- Dr. Reena Arora, Principal Scientist, ICAR – National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR), Karnal, Haryana
- Mr. Sambu Siong, West Kemang, Arunachal Pradesh (Joined online)
- Dr. Nazrul Haque, Principal Scientist, ICAR - NRCM & Member Secretary, RAC
All the institute scientists and technical officers were also present in attendance. During the field visits on September 22nd & 23rd, the Committee ventured to the Mithun Conservation Unit at Khonoma and the ICAR – National Research Centre on Mithun Station and Krishi Vigyan Kendra at Porba. These visits provided valuable insights into the on-ground activities and collaborations in place to further our research mission.
Key recommendations emerged from the discussions, encompassing areas such as filling vacancies, ensuring equipment maintenance, breed registration, engaging students from various universities, promoting hygienic meat production, and addressing issues related to predator attacks. These recommendations are poised to advance our research efforts significantly.