Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Farm Science Center) is a grass root level institution set up under Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) for empowering the farming community in agriculture and allied sector. It is a district level institution engaged in bridging the gap between the available technologies developed by research organization at one end and its application in farmers’ field for increased production and productivity at the other.
Phek district is located in the southeastern part of Nagaland, bounded by Myanmar in the east. It is endowed with temperate type of climate occupying an area of 2026 square km. The district consists of undulating hilly terrain with altitude ranging from 540m MSL to 2133m MSL. Paddy and maize are the major cereal crops in the district followed by millets and local cultivars of pulses. Besides crops, livestock rearing plays an important role in the economy of the farming community in the district. However, production and productivity of crops and livestock are lower compared to the national average.
Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Phek was established in Porba village by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) under the aegis of ICAR-NRC on Mithun, Medziphema, Nagaland in 2003 to augment the farmers of the district with latest technological knowledge with the aim of reducing the time lag between technology generation and its transfer to the farmer's field for increasing production and achieving sustainability.
The mandates of KVK
- On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields
- Capacity development of farmers, rural youth and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies
- To work as knowledge and resource centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sectors in improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest to the farmers.
- In addition, KVK would produce quality technological products (seed, planting material, bio-agents, livestock) and make it available to farmers, organize frontline extension activities, identify and document selected farm innovations and converge with ongoing schemes and programmes within the mandate of KVK.
Vision of the KVK
Sustainable development of farming community by infusing the latest advancement in agriculture and allied with indigenous technical knowledge being practiced from time immemorial.
Focus areas of the KVK
- To identify and prioritize important problems related to agriculture and allied activities practiced by the farming community of the district.
- Planning & conducting on farm trial to assess the technologies in farmer’s field and its refinement, if needed.
- Demonstrating new and improved technologies to the farmers as well as to the extension agencies directly in the farmer’s field with their active participation for promotion and large scale adoption.
- Planning & conducting need based, on and off campus training programmes for farmers, rural youth and extension functionaries in agriculture and allied sector.
- Developing and organizing non-formal education programs by way of field days, farm visits, farmers fair, radio talk, film shows etc.
- Organizing Farm Science Clubs in Rural Schools and Villages to induce liking and interest for Agricultural & Allied sciences in younger generation.
- Developing and promoting small village organizations like Self Help Groups (SHGs), Farmer Interest Groups (FIGs), Kisan Clubs etc.
- Developing and maintaining farms and Demonstration Units on scientific lines to facilitate work experience to the trainees and also to put a show case of latest technical knowhow.
- Providing added training facilities in the areas of rural home science and nutritional education for community.
- Collecting feed-back from the farmers and extension agencies and communicating these massages to research scientists for modification of technology.
Link: Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Phek's Website